Friday, February 3, 2012

Confession: It's easy to hide...

I am a mother of two fantastic kids, I love them more than I can say. They make me happy and keep me very busy. In the past I have found that it can be easy to "hide" behind them and the needs they present. It is easy to just be Bean's mom, or spend all of my spare time running Bug to his different classes and lessons. It is easy to throw my hair up in a ponytail because the kitchen just has to get cleaned, the laundry folded or homework finished. It is easy to just claim that you are simply "the mom", the "wife" or the "house cleaner"...but that too is just hiding.

I heard a friend once say that after each child was born she found it easier and easier to not get ready in the morning...to just not care all that much. I completely understood at the time, since Bean was six months old....but I didn't like it. I decided then and there that I didn't want to put myself on the shelf all of the time. It couldn't be healthy - it couldn't be good for my children to watch their mom disappear and simply become part of the background. It was then and there I decided to take a stand!

My only problem - I wasn't sure what my stand was...slowly I have figured it out. I have tried to make sure I was put together a bit more often. Point for me! I took classes online to increase my knowledge and keep my brain growing. Point for me! I give myself permission to leave the dishes in the sink for an extra few minutes while I finish another chapter in my book. Point for me! I experimented and came up with a laundry system all my own - it isn't what I grew up with but it fits my personality and my laundry gets done. Point for me! I started a small cottage business to let me have a creative outlet. Point for me!

It doesn't matter what you do as long as you are taking the time to do things that improve who you are. This may seem selfish but I have found that I am a better mom. I find time to enjoy my Bean and my Bug. I can conquer my house or be okay with somethings going undone until tomorrow.

The title of Ohio's Outstanding Mom has given me the courage I needed to continue to step out of my comfort zone and to truly quit hiding. I find time to make sure I am exercising and eating better (says the woman who just ate a Skinny Cow ice cream bar). I am enjoying all parts of my life a bit more because I am spending better quality moments with each part of my life.

Be courageous today. Do one little thing that reminds you why you are amazing!

Love - The OOM

No comments:

Post a Comment